Monday, November 17, 2008

Thai Chicken Noodle Soup, Yummmm!

A few years ago my parents took me to a little Thai restaurant by their house. I fell in love with a soup called Tom Ka Gai. It was absolutely delicious. After searching the internet for recipes, I came up with my own adaptation to suit my family.

1 quart chicken stock, homemade or canned
1 lemongrass stalk, white part, crushed slightly or 1 tsp. lemongrass paste
@ 1 inch fresh grated ginger root
zest of 1 lime
2 small fresh Thai chilies, halved lengthwise (I omitted for the kids)
2 large garlic cloves, smashed
1/2 pkg Thai rice noodles
1 can (14.5 oz.) coconut milk
(I used Goya brand coconut milk)
2 tsp. sugar
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (4 cooked chicken breasts)
juice of 3 limes
salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or more)

In large soup pot, bring chicken stock to a simmer over medium heat. Add lemongrass, lime zest, ginger, Thai chilies, and smashed garlic cloves. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, then strain stock to remove pieces. (I didn't strain the stock, I used an immersion blender to puree the pieces.)

Turn heat to low, then stir in noodles, coconut milk, sugar, shredded chicken, lime juice, salt and cracked pepper. Simmer about 5 minutes without boiling to cook noodles and heat chicken through. Ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with cilantro if desired.

2 comments:

*Jennifer* said...

okay- so you know i have a love- hate relationship with cooking, mostly it is because i hate grocery shopping and i don't have an imagination when it comes to making thing. well i have another reason and it is stuff like lemongrass...wth is it and where do you find it?????
other than that, i love the idea of you having a food blog, because i LOVE your cooking and can't wait to see what you can come up with to put on here!

Stef said...

LOL. Lemongrass should be by the fresh herbs in the produce section. Your HEB should have it. I couldn't find it here so I bought the paste in a tube. This recipe is pretty simple & very different & tasty.